How do we deal with residential care?

Nearly a third of people alive now will require long-term residential care.  As medical science and health-technology continues to improve we will all (hopefully) live longer, and this may increase the chances of requiring professional care.

There are two options for residential care; private care and care provided by your local authority.  If you require care provision from your local authority they will assess your assets (your estate) and if you have more than a certain threshold you will be expected to contribute towards the cost of your care.  In some circumstances a local authority can use legal means to use your home as security to pay for such care.

Experienced willwriters can structure your will to make use of trusts that can preserve a significant amount of the equity in your home.  There are various methods available depending on your circumstances, and we would recommend you speak to a local willwriter to get the most up-to-date advice.